Sunday, December 14, 2008

Welcome to post number one!

I'm so excited about this blog. I just started working at Full Cycle a month ago, but in that short time I've met some amazing people who do really fun things on bikes of all kinds. Those people are Full Cycle staff and those fun things range from mountain bike camping adventures, ski-biking, cyclocross racing, bike commuting in all weather, and even bringing home a full-sized Christmas tree on a bike trailer. Ok, that last one didn't happen, but it was talked about a whole lot, and it's definitely possible.

So this is the place where Full Cycle staff will talk about our adventures on bikes, the bikes and gear we like, upcoming events, ideas for fun things to do on a bike, places to ride, and our general bike-related thoughts.

Here's a brief tale for starters. For you mountain bikers looking for a way to get your more timid friends, girlfriends, wives, husbands, whoever, into mountain biking - listen up. I just moved here from the east coast, where I sucked at mountain biking. I was on a heavy old hybrid bike, and was forever slipping and falling on roots. So in honor of self-preservation, I gave up on mountain biking. Also, I'm somewhat clumsy and I'm nervous about falling. Good qualities in a mountain biker, right?

Then I moved out here, and within a week I was handed a rental Giant Trance X from Full Cycle and was hauled across the state to Fruita for a multi-day mountain bike trip. I was game, but also pretty sure that my co-bikers would soon realize that me and mountain biking aren't a good mix, and that it was a better use of my time to stay at camp and clean up after breakfast.

It took me about 5 minutes on the trail to realize that mountain biking FREAKING ROCKS. This was not scary. This was addictive fun. Riding on sweet trails and having an good bike made me feel like all was right with the world, and that I could take on anything the trail could give. I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it, so I'd better stop writing before I babble on and on (too late?). But seriously people, get your friends and family on a good mountain bike (from Full Cycle!) and get them out to Fruita, and you'll have riding partners for life.

Until next time, happy biking!

-Tanja

1 comment:

Post a Comment